I celebrate my freedom from Anorexia everyday with dessert! I share my love for all things sweet with family and friends. I found this recipe and it seemed noteworthy! Let me know your favorite successful flavor combinations.
Here is a great looking gluten free chocolate cake and essential oil treat from America’s Test Kitchen I couldn’t resist sharing!
1 cup non GMO veggie oil
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2/3 cup unsweet cocoa powder (watch the label, not all cocoa is gluten free! who knew?)
11/3 cup + 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend. (Bob’s Red Mill will produce a coarser, earthy flavor. King Arthur GF blend is also recommended)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup whole milk
4 cups frosting
1. Pre-heat oven to 350* Grease 2 9″ rounds, 9×13, or jelly roll sheet pans. Line them with parchment and grease parchment.
2. Microwave oil, chocolate and cocoa in a safe bowl at 1/2 power until it is melted, about 2 mins. Whisk the mixture until smooth, then set it aside to cool/ In a separate bowl, whisk the flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt together.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla together. Whisk in the sugar until it is well combined. Whisk in the cooled chocolate mixture and milk until combined. Whisk in flour blend until the batter is thoroughly combined.
4. divide the batter evenly between prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean about 30 to 32 minutes. Switch and rotate the pans about half way through the baking time.
5. Let the cakes cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen. Remove cake from the pans. Discard parchment. Let the cakes cool completely on a rack for about 1 1/2 hours.
6. Place one cake on a platter and spread with 1 1/2 cups of frosting. Top with the second cake layer, press lightly to adhere, then spread the remaining frosting evenly over the top and sides.
My variation: to deepen chocolate flavor add 1 tsp coffee/espresso powder. To create a custom flavor add up to 3 drops of your favorite essential oil to the batter just before baking. Orange, ginger, peppermint or lavender are favorite choices! You can also add Organic orange peel, no sulphur ginger bits or lavender buds to boost your favorite custom flavor!
24 TBL or 3 sticks or unsalted butter, cutt into 24 pieces and softened.
3 TBL heavy cream
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups 10x sugar (also called castor sugar or powdered sugar)
1. Using stand mixer with whisk, whip butter, cream, vanilla and salt on med-high until it is smooth. about 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to med-low, slowly add sugar, whip until it is well incorporated and smooth about 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Increase speed to med.-high and whip until it is light and fluffy. about 3 to 5 minutes.
Flavor this with same oil you flavored the cake with, ginger bits with ginger essential oil, lavender buds with lavender essential oil about 1 to 4 drops to taste, or add 2 TBL coffee espresso powder, 2 tsp almond extract or 1 TBL coconut extract.