Pecan Pie has never been so easy. This recipe has been adapted by combining the one in BHG Cookies and Bars 2010 and a few I found online.
- For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour (you could go gluten free)
- 1/2 castor (powdered) sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- For the filling:
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup maple sugar (you can substitute with Organic whole cane sugar or sucanat)
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1 – 1 1/4 cups whole pecan halves
Preheat oven to 350.
For the crust: in a medium bowl stir together the flour, castor sugar and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter til it resembles small crumbs. Press this mixture into an 8x8x2 ungreased pan. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Meanwhile: Simmer maple syrup over medium until it reaches 225ºF, about 10 -15 minutes. While syrup is simmering, place maple sugar and butter in a Pyrex type mixing bowl. As soon as the syrup reaches 225ºF, pour hot syrup over sugar and butter mixture. Let mixture sit for 1 minute and then whisk together. Temper in the eggs adding a little of the syrup to the eggs then the eggs to the syrup. Whisk. Add vanilla and sea salt.
Bake @ 350 for 20 minutes or until the filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the fridge for up to a week.